How to Download, Install, and Activate Windows Server 2022, Standard?
Based on Windows Server 2019 Standard, Windows Server 2022 Standard is designed for small-to-medium-sized businesses with increased stability and performance for the IT infrastructures. It is complex to download, install, activate, and configure the Windows server. We’ll discuss the guide to complete the full Windows Server 2022 Standard setup.
System Requirements for Windows Server 2022 Standard
Before jumping into the setup process, you need the verify the system requirements for Windows Server 2022 Standard with your device system. Here are the system requirements for Windows Server 2022 Standard:
Processor: 1.4 GHz 64-bit processor compatible with x64 instruction set, CMPXCHG16b, prefetch, LAHF/SAHF, and Supports NX-DEP.
RAM/Memory: ECC (Error Correcting Code) type or similar technology, 512 MB (2GB for Server with Desktop Experience installation option). Minimum 32 GB hard drive memory space (Windows Server 2022 using the Server Core installation option).
Network Requirements: Ethernet adapter with 1 gigabit per second throughput compliant with the PCI Express architecture specification.
Graphics and Display Requirements: device and monitor capable of Super VGA (1024 x 768) or higher resolution.
Additional Requirements: UEFI 2.3.1c-based system, firmware with secure boot, and Trusted Platform Module.
If the requirements meet the system configuration, then it’s time to jump into the download process of Windows Server 2022 Standard.
Download Process of Windows Server 2022 Standard
Downloading the ISO image file of Windows Server 2022 Standard is a relatively easy nut to crack. Navigate through the following link/URL with your internet browser and fill in the required field to go to the download page.
Now, select your Server 2022 edition to download the ISO image file. Hence, it is a big file it may take a few moments to download the ISO image file.
Install Process of Windows Server 2022 Standard
Before starting the installation process of Windows Server 2022 Standard on your device, you must create a bootable USB flash drive. If you don’t have an USB drive, you must collect one and make it bootable by following these steps:
Creating Windows Server 2022 Standard Bootable ISO Image
Once the ISO image file download is completed, you must prepare the boot environment to install Windows Server 2022. However, you can install the server with the ISO image file by using a physical host or virtual machine. Have a glance at the steps for making a bootable ISO image for Windows Server 2022:
- Insert a USB flash drive into your running computer device.
- Open the Command Prompt with elevated access (administrative access) and execute the diskpart command. It will open a new command line window.
- Type list disk and click enter to see all the available disks on your computer device. Remember the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive.
- Select the USB flash drive by executing the select disk <x> (replace the ‘x’ with the drive letter or drive number of the USB flash drive) command on the Command Prompt window.
- Execute the clean command to remove all the existing data from the USB flash drive.
- Create a new primary partition by executing create partition primary command on the Command Prompt window.
- Select the newly created partition by executing select partition 1.
- Format the partition by executing format fs=ntfs quick, then execute the active command to save the changes made on the USB flash drive.
- Now, close the Command Prompt unit after executing the exit command.
- The process of preparing the custom image has finally finished. Remember to save it to the root of the USB flash drive.
- Move the downloaded Windows Server ISO image file to the bootable USB flash drive to start the installation.
You’ve now completed the process of creating the bootable ISO with Windows Server 2022 Standard. It’s time to start the installation process.
Installing Process Step by Step
When you’ve completed making Windows Server 2022 bootable ISO image file, you are ready to start the installation process. There are two methods of installing Windows Server on your device, one is server core, and the other is desktop experience. Though both ways are nearly identical, we will first use the minimal installation method named server core. The Command Prompt unit is used to handle commands on the server. This method is suitable for saving space and resources. So, let’s start the installation process:
1. Installing with Server Core
- Power on your machine (virtual or physical) with the created bootable flash drive. Your device will show a message that says, ‘Press any key to boot from CD or DVD’. As it is the entry point for installing the server operating system.
- After giving the input, you’ll have to select the preferred language, preferred time/currency, and keyboard layout preferences. Then click on the Next button to go through the installation process.
- After that, click the Install now button to begin the installation process. The following window will let you choose the Windows Server 2022 server options. Select Windows Server 2022 Standard from the options and click next to proceed.
- You see the Terms and Conditions screen; check-in the tiny box beside the I accept all license agreements box message, and press next to continue the installation process.
- Now, select Custom when installing the OS on a new server. Otherwise, you must select Upgrade with the files, settings, and applications option from the newly appeared screen and press Next.
- Afterward, select the designated partition where you want to install Windows Server 2022 Standard. Also, you can optionally create a new partition to install the server. Click Next after selecting the drive.
- Now, the installer will start to install the necessary system files. The system will reboot automatically. Sometimes it may take several reboots while installing the system files.
- After completing the installation, the system will immediately reboot and ask for the administrator password. Enter the administrator password to verify and continue.
- Next, you’ll be directly promoted PowerShell interface, and you may start to manage the Windows Server 2022 Standard with the server core interface.
2. Installing with the Desktop Experiences
The desktop experience has a dedicated Graphical User Interface (GUI) similar to Windows OS, which makes server management easy. To install with the Desktop Experiences, you must follow the exact instructions you followed to install with the server core. You’ve to select the desktop experience options and follow the below-described steps to install Microsoft Windows Server 2022.
- After selecting the Windows Server 2022 Standard (Desktop Experience) from the options screen, it will make the device reboot several times. You’ll notice a graphical interface that prompts you to create an admin password before proceeding to the next step. You must click on Finish to proceed next steps.
- Upon pressing the ctrl + alt + del to go through the Sign-in screen, enter the password you’ve set in the previous step.
- Now you are all set; the Server Manager screen will appear automatically on the screen. You can begin configuring your server from the Server manager or explore more options on the device Control Panel.
Activation Process of Windows Server 2022 Standard
- Open the Run Dialog Box by pressing the Windows + R button, type ‘cmd’, and press the ctrl + shift + enter to open the Command Prompt with the administrative access.
- On the Command Prompt, prompt the dism /online /set-edition:serverstandard /AcceptEula /ProductKey:xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (replace the x’s with the genuine product key that you purchased from Msckey) command and press enter to complete the execution process.
Now that you’ve completed the activation process of Windows Server 2022 Standard with the purchased product key from Msckey, you need to configure the Windows server to get the best from it. Let’s jump into the configuration process.
Configuring Windows Server 2022 Standard
You’ve now completed the installation and activation process of Server 2022 Standard on your device, and it’s time to configure it. Follow the below steps to do so:
1. Network Configuration on Server Core
- Open the Command Prompt with administrative access and run the SConfig command to open the configuration menu on Command Prompt.
- You must choose the number 8 option for Network Setting. It will open a network configuration screen, and this is where you have to make all the adjustments for wired and wireless networks.
- To start the configuration process, you must select the IP. You may notice multiple options; choose the one you want to work with.
- Upon selecting the IP, you can customize the IP settings. Once you make a change, the network setting will be automatically updated.
2. Network Configuration of Desktop Experience
- Press the Windows key, type ‘control panel’, and press enter to open the Control Panel component of the device. Now, navigate through Network and Internet > Network Connections to see all the connected networks.
- Select and right-click on the network connection you want to configure. Choose the Properties from the context menu, and you can configure the network connection using the GUI.
Now, you are all set.
It is always better to use a genuine product key with a lifetime license to activate Windows Server 2022 Standard. It is where you should trust Msckey; we will give you Microsoft’s authorized product key at a low cost with a lifetime usage guarantee. Also, we have an after-sales support team to support you. Moreover, we provide a replacement and money-back guarantee within 30 days after delivering the product key. That’s Msckey for you, have a great day.